San Antonio Personal Injury Lawyer
When injuries occur, financial stress is inevitable. But a San Antonio injury lawyer can help relieve that stress.
People get hurt every day—it’s just a fact of life. But when these injuries are the result of an accident brought on by someone else’s negligence or recklessness, the law is on your side. In these cases, you have every right to hire a San Antonio personal injury lawyer and file a personal injury claim against the liable party.
The team at J.A. Davis & Associates, LLP understands the intricacies and complexities involved in this area of the law. We offer our clients high-quality representation to ensure they are protected throughout the legal proceedings and that they stand a great chance of recovering fair compensation that allows them to move forward with their lives.
Tell Us About Your Accident
To start, your San Antonio accident injury lawyer will ask you to discuss the details of your accident and explain how you suffered your injuries. This conversation is a crucial part of the case-building process. That's because it allows your attorney to determine which type of personal injury suit you will be filing.
In turn, this will enable your attorney to identify the best strategy for gathering evidence and presenting your case so you are able to collect the full compensation you deserve. Some types of accidents that might spark a viable personal injury claim in San Antonio include the following:
- Premises Liability Cases – These cases are typically filed when a victim falls down a flight of stairs, is bitten by a dog, or is injured in a similar manner on a property he or she was legally on. Property owners, both commercial and residential, have a responsibility to ensure a safe environment for all who step onto their grounds. When they don't, and you sustain injuries as a result of their negligence, they are responsible for your damages.
- Work and Construction Accidents – Those who work in the construction industry have a particularly high risk of being hurt while they are on the job. However, it's possible for any person in any industry to sustain injuries at work. Injured workers might include office workers, factory employees, and public transportation workers, among many others. In the event that you suffer an accident while performing your work duties, you can file a workers compensation claim. In some cases, you might be able to file a claim against your employer.
- Product Liability Cases – Companies and manufacturers must adhere to certain standards when preparing their goods for use or consumption. Failing to do so can result in significant injuries or illnesses for their customers. In these events, if you are a victim, the product manufacturer could be held liable for your injuries.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Automotive accidents are some of the most common types of cases San Antonio accident injury lawyers come across. Causes can include everything from driver error to malfunctioning vehicles. If you sustained your injuries in such a crash, your attorney will help you prove the liability of the other party so you can collect the compensation you deserve, whether you were hurt in a car accident, motorcycle crash, or truck collision.
Types of Injuries You Might Have Suffered
Another important part of building your suit will be pinpointing your injuries and determining their severity. Your personal injury lawyer in San Antonio can do this using the medical documentation filed after your initial examination.
Injuries typically involved in these types of cases include the following:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Sensory damage, such as lost vision or hearing
- Loss of limbs
- Spine, neck, and back injuries
- Brain trauma
- Development of an illness
- Development of emotional trauma, such as post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, anxiety, and others
Why Hire a San Antonio Personal Injury Attorney?
Unfortunately, after being hurt in the types of accidents mentioned above, some victims choose to forgo legal representation and try to handle their cases themselves. However, we advise against this for several reasons.
Personal injury law is incredibly involved and complex, and in order to obtain the compensation you deserve, you may need to be skilled in a variety of ways. The average civilian doesn't possess the knowledge or legal prowess to take on these responsibilities, which could ultimately cost him or her the ability to collect compensation.
But a San Antonio injury attorney will be able to guide you through this process. First, your lawyer will make sure all necessary documents and paperwork are filed on time and in accordance with Texas laws. This will ensure your case isn't dismissed based on filing errors alone.
Next, your attorney will handle all communications with the insurance company. This is helpful for two primary reasons. For one, it ensures that you don’t accidentally say the wrong thing, making yourself liable for your injuries. Second, it will allow you to focus on your recovery rather than dealing with the stress of dealing with insurers, whose primary goal is to protect their bottom line.
Finally, allowing your lawyer to handle the insurers will help ensure that all the damages you are eligible to collect, both now and in the future, are included in your claim.
Understandably, the primary concern most San Antonio accident victims have is finding out what their claim is worth. Personal injuries can be expensive and impact your life in a number of areas, making it crucial to receive compensation that covers all related costs you face.
To help you maintain your quality of life after your accident, your San Antonio accident injury attorney will evaluate your eligibility to pursue the following damages in your claim for compensation:
- Medical coverage for all present and future expenses
- Lost wages during your recovery
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Reduced enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death
San Antonio Personal Injury FAQ
Below are the answers to some common questions related to personal injury claims. If you have additional questions, we’re happy to help.
What is the deadline for filing my claim?
The deadline for filing your claim is called the statute of limitations. In Texas, this deadline is two years from the date of your accident.
Am I eligible for compensation if I hold some of the blame?
Because of a rule called modified comparative negligence, you may be eligible to recover compensation for your injuries even if you hold some of the blame. However, your portion of the responsibility cannot exceed 50 percent, and your compensation will decrease in an amount proportionate to the percentage of fault you are found to hold.
What are punitive damages?
Punitive damages are awarded in cases that involve particularly egregious negligence on the part of the defendant. Although these damages are capped, they can significantly raise the value of your claim.
Contact a San Antonio Personal Injury Attorney Today
If you were hurt in an accident brought on by another person’s negligence, don’t wait to contact a lawyer at J.A. Davis & Associates, LLP. We will ensure your rights are protected and that you have an excellent chance of securing a favorable outcome for your claim.
To take the first step, schedule a consultation with a San Antonio personal injury lawyer today. We can be reached by phone at 210-732-1062 or through the online contact form below.